I haven’t been posting much because I decided to take a break from dating…and I mean a real break. Not just the “I’m not going to go on dates” break, but the “I am going to stop thinking about dating” break. And as we all know, that break is virtually impossible when you are a woman in your early thirties. Your biological clock shrills loudly in your ear and thumps in your ribcage like a ticking bomb.
But I think I figured out how to take a break – because REALLY taking a break from dating is important for your sanity, sometimes. Here are my tips on how to truly take a break:
- Stop telling the stories on your dating life. As a single person, you know how this goes. You’ve got a bunch of friends and they are all either married or in serious relationships. When you hang out with them, you’re the single girl with the hilarious dating stories. When you see them, they ask for an update and you happily oblige. Stop that. Cold turkey. Lately, even if I have something going on, I simply respond, “I haven’t really been dating, but will definitely let you know when I have a hot date.”
- Don’t pursue: Forests of trees have been killed to produce books on the Pursuit theory. Even when you are not actively pursuing, you’re passively pursuing by managing your external perception to the opposite sex. Just enjoy the moment you are in and don’t worry about the prospects around you. They will come to you if they really want to.
- Ditch the bad girlfriends: Women do this to each other all the time. In spite of the fact that women are so successful and diverse with extremely interesting lives and accomplishments, when they get together they always spend 1/2 their time talking about men. And encouraging each other to psycho-analyze men and their behavior. Gracefully exit those conversations and put those friends on the back burner. They will be there when you return to the dating world.
- Pump your efforts into you: There is so much more to women than the men we date – so take some time to define your self worth outside of a man. Serendipity is my hero right now, because she is on this amazing journey of getting herself back… and that has nothing to do with men. You go, girl.
Now i don’t want this to sound like I hate men or that I am bitter with my love life. Because I am not. I just need a break. And I am going to take it…fuck cupid.
What do you think? Leave a comment!
- I want to break up with dating!
- Breaking up, the right way
- Approach Pep Talk
- Opposites don’t attract
- Learning how to be yourself